Patron: The Rt. Revd Paul Bayes, Bishop of Liverpool.
Shyira is a small community located in the hills of North West Rwanda. It is about 25 miles (40 km) east of Gisenyi and 12.5 miles (20 km) south of Ruhengeri.
The village was established as an Episcopal mission station about 1929. It was from here and a few similar centres that the East African Revival took place.
The missionaries had an holistic ministry - in addition to a church they built schools and a hospital. This approach to ministry continues in Shyira to this day.
The population of the area known as Shyira is somewhere in the region of 10,000. Most people live in extreme poverty and have a small area of land to feed their families.
The buildings can all be seen on the map below. To assist in identifying them, or for visitors to find their way around Shyira, one of our trustees has produced a printable map of Shyira.
The community of Shyira has St. Marks church at its heart. The church, either at parish or diocesan level, has overall responsibility for most activities in the community including the schools and hospital. In some cases it is a shared responsibility with government or others.
This special status stems from the origins of the community - it was founded by Anglican missionaries in the early years of the 20th Century.